Carpenter License, Bond, & Insurance Requirements in Arizona and Washington State


Carpentry is a skilled trade, with carpenters working indoors and outdoors on many construction projects – from furniture design and construction, door and window installation or repair, flooring installation, trim and molding installation, custom woodworking, stair construction, structural framing, and furniture repair. To be a successful carpenter and help your business expand, you must comply with all licensing rules in the state where you intend to work.

Conducting Business in Arizona

The Arizona Registrar of Contractors (ROC) issues the required licenses for carpenters. You must obtain a contractor license to build, alter, repair, subtract from, or improve any structure in Arizona. R-7 Carpentry is a specialty home contracting license allowing you to install and repair rough carpentry, finish carpentry, hardware, millwork, metal studs, doors or door frames, and windows. It requires four years of experience and confirmation of completion of seven new and eight maintenance projects.

The R-60 specialty license relates to finish carpentry. The R-61 specialty license allows carpenters to perform remodeling and repairs for projects under $50,000.

You must pass a trade exam and show proof of a bond to receive any type of carpentry license. The license must be renewed every two years.

Additionally, although not-state mandated, contractors in Arizona are generally required to carry General Liability insurance for commercial and most residential work. General Liability insurance covers lawsuits resulting from accidental bodily injury or property damage to a third party on your property; medical expenses for bodily injury caused by an accident; potential liability for bodily injury or property damage that arises out of completed work; and damage caused by false arrest, malicious prosecution, wrongful eviction, use of another’s idea in an advertisement, copyright infringement, or publication of material that slanders, libels, or violates a person’s right to privacy.

Doing Business in Washington State

Carpenters are classified as specialist contractors in Washington, either as “cabinets, millwork, and finish carpentry” or “framing and rough carpentry.” Although no state license is required for carpenters, specialist contractors must register with the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I). Also, if you work on larger projects, such as building a deck, you could be considered a general contractor and would be required to get the appropriate license.

Specialty carpenters must provide proof of a $6,000 surety bond as well as General Liability insurance.

Go Bonds can help you navigate the license application process and apply for bonds based on your state’s requirements. You can focus on growing your business by working with top-rated carriers to provide affordable bonds and insurance.


*NOTE: The insuring agreement in a policy sets out the covered perils, assumed risks, and nature of coverage that the insurance company provides to its insured in exchange for the premiums paid. Thus, the terms and conditions of the policy will dictate whether coverage exists and the nature of any potential benefits.